Thursday 17 June 2010

in a league of his own...



Not too long ago, one of my close friends shared me this vision of beautifully made suits and the love and art of bespoke suiting. Today, this vision has been translated into a bespoke suit service to rival Savile Row. I believe that a man should always look his best and take pride in the way he looks no matter where he hails from. So, I'd like to share with you this story of The Canbury Tailor. And for all you lovely gentlemen out there who are looking for something special as well as good craftsmanship, this is definitely a must.

The Story - The Man:
In 2001 I bought my first fully bespoke suit from Savile Row at the cost of around £3000 I did it for the experience and to strike it of the list of things a man must do before he is 30 years old. As expected the workman ship was impeccable and the cut and feel was second to none. Over the next years I tried many other tailors at various budgets, and the obvious conclusion is you get what you pay for, many of the new tailoring companies manufacture in Hong Kong, China, even in Nepal these days, and trust me you can tell the difference. All I wanted was the English sharp look, the best cut, the best materials and handmade for a budget of around £750-900. I strongly believe every man should have a good fitting suit and it does not need to come from Savile Row. Then in the summer of 2003 on weekend break in Roma with my Italian girlfriend I noticed that the Italian men were very dapper I loved their look and their easy going style, so much so that I approached a gentleman in a navy blue Linen 1 button suit in a cafe and asked him where he purchased his suit, in fact I probably asked another 2 guys that day and they all sent me to the same guy Mr Sarto. I immediately went over to the work shop and we hit it off straight away he loved my passion and I appreciated his 3rd generation craftsmanship and experience, I explained what I wanted to. So together we build a tailoring block, the Italian cut is soft, but I prefer the sharp English look so together we built a look that is sharp yet has a softer silhouette. Established for 5 years now we make by hand around 25 garments per month from shirts to coats to suits and I am very happy to keep Mr Sarto from Roma going for another generation. I am no longer with the Italian girlfriend.

The Canbury Tailor

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Free Blog Counter